Tilden Mine Company Office – Bessemer Michigan
President & Treasurer – Charles L Colby
Vice President & Secretary – E H Abbot
General Manager – Joseph Sellwood
Owned by: Puritan Mining Company, then by the Oliver Mining Co.
The Tilden Mine was located 1/2 mile east of Bessemer. It was operated by both the Puritan Mining Company and the Oliver Mining Company. It was located in the north 1/2 of Section 16, T47N-R46W.
May 1, 1913. Tilden Mine Burns. "...Fifty Miners on Tenth Level Have Narrow Escape from Suffocation. Bessemer Mich. April 30. No. 9 shaft house and boiler room of the Tilden mine burned this morning, entailing a loss of $50,000...."
"...Hundreds of men worked heroically in preventing the fire from going down the shafts into the depth of the mine. Fifty miners on the tenth level barely escaped with their lives. The shaft is burning 1,000 feet down and will continue for several days."
The fire was caused by a man cleaning his pipe against a piece of lagging.